How Can I Tell if My 3 Year Old Needs Speech Therapy?
How can I tell if my 3 year old needs speech therapy? This is a challenging question as children develop at different speeds. It is important for you to understand though that most toddlers often experience difficulties when it comes to pronouncing words and creating sentences. This is especially true for children who are between the ages of 18 months and 3 years old. Understand that it is completely normal for them to say words that are often unintelligible, so you have to be prepared to constantly play guessing games with them. Again, this is perfectly fine.
Mispronouncing words generally lasts till around age 6. So with this being pointed out, what you should be on the lookout for is your child’s improvements in his or her speech. By the time that he or she turns 3 years old, you should already be able to distinguish what your kid is trying to say, as this is the time that most of what he or she says is somehow understandable.
Another thing to keep in mind is to know the difference between mispronouncing words and talking too little or not talking at all. If your child fits in the second category, then you should know that this is already an indication that there may be something not right.
* Does not react to sounds the same way most other children do
* Has difficulties pronouncing vowels, such as saying boo rather than bow
* Omits entire consonants and instead, talks mostly with the use of vowels
* Uses a single syllable to refer to most objects or things
* Says a particular word once and does not say it again
* Does not show signs of improvement even after several months
In the event that your child is exhibiting any of the signs listed above, it now is a good time for you to seek professional assistance.